Monday, March 24, 2014

The Foster Family excerpt by Jaime Samms




In The Foster Home, Jaime Samms tells the tale of Kerry Grey.  Growing up in foster care has left Kery with little self-esteem or hope for his future. A college dropout, Kerry scrapes by on a part-time job at a garden nursery. His friendship with his boss and working with the plants are the only high points in Kerry’s life. He’s been dating the man who bullied him at school, but when his boyfriend abandons him at a party, Kerry wanders down the beach to drown his sorrows in a bottle of scotch.

Malcolm Holmes and Charlie Stone have been together for fifteen years. Despite Charlie's willingness to accept Malcolm's unspoken domination in bed,something is missing from their relationship. Early one morning, they rescue a passed out Kerry from being washed away by the tide and Charlie immediately senses a kindred spirit in the lost younger man. When Kerry’s roommate kicks him out, Malcolm and Charlie invite him into their home. As Charlie and Kerry bond over Charlie’s garden, Malcolm sees Kerry may be just who they have been looking for to complete their lives. All they have to do is show Kerry, and each other, that Kerry's submissive tendencies will fit their dynamic.

But someone is sabotaging Kerry at every turn. As he struggles to discover the culprit, he fears for the safety of his new friends. If Malcolm and Charlie cannot help, their lifelong search for their perfect third may not end with the happily ever after they imagined.


The Foster Home
Dreamspinner Press
ISBN: 978-1-62798-553-6 ebook
978-1-62798-552-9 paperback

Excerpt:

Charlie stared at me.

“What?”

He bent his neck and kissed me, long and heartfelt. Not possessive like Malcolm had, but it left me dizzy just the same.

“Great. Another hard-on,” I muttered. Which of course made them laugh. “Funny for you, maybe.”

Malcolm grinned. “No maybe about it. Come on.” He took my hand and dragged me back inside. “It’s been a day. Finish the laundry and it’s time we all got to bed.”

I glanced up hopefully, but he shook his head. “I have a room for you.”

“Guest room,” I sighed.

He kissed my knuckles. “We don’t call it that. The guest room is where our guests sleep when they visit. Your room is… not.”

My room was small but nicely appointed. It had a soft bed on a sturdy metal frame, a dresser and bookshelf sagging with photo albums, and a locked cabinet. When I fiddled with the lock, Malcolm slapped my fingers away. “Not yet, boy.” But he was smiling that self-satisfied smile at me, and if that didn’t tip me off as to what was in that cabinet, being called “boy” in that tone did.

I pushed my glasses up my nose. “When?”

Malcolm cupped my face and turned it up so I had no choice but to look him in the eye. “If and when you realize it isn’t all about sex, maybe we’ll talk. If you ever understand it isn’t something you just throw yourself into because we offered, maybe.” He caressed his thumbs over my face and I sighed and closed my eyes. “When you figure out how precious you are and don’t go throwing yourself at strangers.”

“You won’t be strangers anymore by then,” I muttered, knowing the things he was requiring of me to get them into bed were things I might never accomplish.

“Charlie, our new boy might be a genius.”

I opened my eyes. There was something so soft and open about his expression. I couldn’t look away from him, but I didn’t understand him. Not at all.



3 comments:

Victor J. Banis said...

intriguing, but all too brief.2431 Maybe you should offer another excerpt down the road?

Jon Michaelsen said...

Yes, I agree, too short! But, engaging nonetheless. Very nice...

Jaime Samms said...

Aww, thank you, guys. I will see what else I can find that might also be intriguing that Eric can post after some other stories get a chance to show off.