Monday, August 2, 2010
Rick Reed writes about Tales from the Sexual Underground, "I wanted to write about people who were not just out, but out there, people who lived their sexual lives in ways most of us could only imagine...and for whom the flavor vanilla had absolutely no appeal. I interviewed porn stars, prostitutes, self-proclaimed sex pigs, and delved into bizarre sexual practices. It was eye-opening, arousing, and a lot of fun (but never, never good clean fun). I also include here my favorite dirty stories. They all explore a side of life that exists not in the twilight zone, but in my favorite destination...the sexual underground."
Tales from the Sexual Underground
MLR Press (February, 2010)
ISBN: 978-1-60820-140-2 (print)
Guest Blog: The Truth—and the Myths—About Being a Slut
By Rick R. Reed
I have always considered myself a libertine, someone who subscribes to the old adage: if it feels good, do it.
In the midst of gay equality, one group that often gets shoved aside are those of us who present a more shocking, but no less loving, nature to the more conservative right wing. It is for these proud and daring gay men that I proudly submit the following.
The Truth—and the Myths—About Being a Slut
It’s not easy being a slut. Maligned, judged, and often misperceived, we sluts are often thought of as having no values, when the opposite is true: most sluts are filled with the milk of human kindness (or some fluid like that)…that’s why we end up being called sluts. So I’ve come up with this list of truths and falsehoods about being a slut, in an effort to educate the public on this often misunderstood segment of our populace.
1. A slut will sleep with anybody. False! Sluts often have very high standards. Just because we’ve been the pleasure connection to thirty gentlemen in one weekend doesn’t mean that we weren’t choosy. Just lucky…
2. A slut thinks about sex all the time. True. If you’re a good, practicing slut, most other concerns of life take a backseat (as you often do!) to when, where, and with whom you’ll have your next orgasm.
3. A slut has low self-esteem. Bullshit. Whoever started this line of malarkey was just jealous. Sluts simply realize what a gift their sexual organs are and are unselfish enough not to hold those gifts back from worthy admirers.
4. A slut is like a Petri dish, growing all sorts of nasty bacteria and viruses on their person. Well, this is both true and false. An inescapable reality of sluthood is that it’s like playing Russian Roulette. Sooner or later, you’re going to come down with a bug or two. But good sluts realize this and make it a point to know what preventative measures they can take and visit their doctors regularly.
5. A slut preys on the young. Yeah, right. Does that make Bill Clinton a slut? Wait, don’t answer that. A true slut knows that tasty sexual partners come in all shapes, sizes…and ages. Youth has its charms, but with age comes experience, wisdom, and hopefully, control…
6. A slut just can’t get enough. True. And what’s wrong with that? Sex feels good…it’s making someone else feel good, so where’s the problem? If you’re slut, you know that enough is never enough, unless it’s right after…then a cigarette or a bowl of Ben and Jerry (the ice cream!) sounds a whole lot better than having a big howitzer stuffed up some juicy orifice. Or does it?
7. Sluts smell bad. False. A slut, more than anyone else, knows that clean is sexy.
8. Sluts are open minded. True. A real slut knows there’s no end to sexual pleasure and what can bring it on, thus she or he doesn’t limit herself or himself to discovering the joy that a particular mammal, battery-operated device, latex lovely, fruit/veg, etc. can bring.
9. Sluts make bad husbands or wives. False. A true self-proclaimed slut has learned a thing or two about honesty, being true to yourself, and being communicative about needs. All those things add up to knowing how to make a relationship work.
10. Sluts are the answer to world peace. True. So true. Who do you think coined the phrase: make love, not war?
So, sluts unite…again and again and again. And let me know where you’re uniting (and if you have a sling). Slut Pride…it’s time has come.
To purchase, click here for the ebook or here for a print edition