Monday, March 23, 2009

If I Were a Lady excerpt by Bryl R. Tyne

Fifth grade English teacher, Kendra Wright, doesn’t believe in instant love. In fact, at twenty-nine, she’s all but given up hope of ever finding love, period. That is, until she meets the new principal, Valerian Riche.

He may be stunning, gentlemanly and honorable, but falling for the man is the last thing on Kendra's agenda. But when Val makes the first move, Kendra’s life as the youngest spinster to ever grace the pages of history is turned upside down. She’s longed to be treated like the lady she knows she is, but technically, is not. But if the truth comes out, it will destroy her career and end the wildest romantic ride she’s ever known.

Kendra must end the relationship before she’s in too deep. Before the truth is revealed. But, how does a lady say no to the charm-charged wiles of a man as determined, and eager, as Val Riche? While she anticipates the horror of breaking the news, he persists on making her decision as difficult as possible. Maybe Val should’ve checked Kendra’s package before he unchecked his heart.

If I Were a Lady...
Noble Romance Publishing (March 16, 2009)
ISBN 978-1-60592-025-2

Excerpt: (scene from a theme park sky car ride)

I felt Val next to me as I gawked at the menagerie fifty-feet below us. “They’re everywhere.”

“You’re funny,” he said, pecking me on the cheek. “You’ve never seen animals before, either?”

“Oh, please.” I flashed him a sideways snarl. “Yes, in zoos. Not like out in the wild or something . . . . Look!” I poked the glass. He bumped my shoulder out of his way to see the pair of giraffes. Fighting or flirting, I wasn’t sure. When he started laughing, I shoved him toward the other end of the car. “What’s so funny, jackass?”

On the car’s floor, he lay where he landed, laughing with gusto and clutching his stomach.

“Whatever.” I returned to animal-watching. He’d lost his damned mind. Less than a minute later, Val had me pinned to the back of the seat by my shoulders. No laugh, not even a smirk, the second time I’d witnessed such seriousness in his eyes.

Prying my legs apart, he lowered himself to his knees between them. “Kendra.” I averted my gaze and looked out the window. He brought my attention back to him with a soft touch to my face, but I lowered my head just as quickly. “Please look at me.”

Those tears aren’t real. I tried convincing myself, shutting my eyes, only to open them wide as his lips flitted over mine. “Kendra.”

“What? And why are we whispering?”

Silence. So silent, I swore I could hear the bead of sweat I watched descend the inside bridge of his nose. His tongue glided over his top lip then his bottom. Why am I shaking?

I wasn’t shaking. “Val? What’s wrong?” I brushed a droplet from his cheek.

“Kendra, I . . . I-think-I-love-you.”

Why had I been so worried about this moment? All the anxiety and the fear were for nothing. I answered him with ease. “You can’t, Val.” With the same sense of calm, I replied to his questioning eyes. “We’ve been around each other less than a week. You can’t love me. You don’t know me. Not at all.”

“Don’t tell me I don’t know what I want, Kendra.” He leaned forward and kissed me.

Inhibitions forgotten with the intensity of his touch, I forged ahead. My tongue met his and I lured him inside. He wants me. I sucked on his bottom lip. He sucked on mine. God, I want him to suck—

“I want to make love to you,” he said.

Okay, inhibitions almost forgotten . . . . Fear seized my gut, doubts taunted me, but I forced them away. I couldn’t remember ever wanting anyone as badly as I wanted Val Riche. I wanted him inside me, deep inside, fulfilling my desires, filling me.

If he gave me a minute, I’d figure out how to make it happen, too...

http://bryltyne.com/
http://nobleromance.com
To purchase, click here

No comments: